A week from today begins the 9th annual Tribeca Film Festival, founded by Robert De Niro as a way to revitalize lower Manhattan after the 9/11 attacks. Since the festival’s conception, it has grown to be one of the world’s leading film festivals attracting filmmakers, musicians and artists from all around the world. Thinking about attending the festival this year? Here are a few tips to get you in smoothly and without a front row seat:
1. Unable to spend the big bucks on a multi-day festival pass? Tribeca allows attendees to buy single movie tickets. For Tribeca neighborhood residents, single tickets go on-sale the Sunday before the festival and for all others the Monday before.
2. Buy tickets early! The buzzed about movies will sell out immediately so waiting to buy at the door is nothing but a crapshoot.
3. Get there early! At least 30 minutes before and more if your film is a popular one or if you are with a large group. Unlike most events, the front row is not where you want to be.
4. Pick-up your will-call tickets ahead of time, like the day before not the hour before. The festival Box Office is at 15 Laight Stree and open from 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
5. Keep calm and carry on. There will be celebrities there, be cool man. Be cool.
The big premier at the 2010 festival is Shrek Forever After, the fourth and final film in the Shrek series so its films stars are guaranteed attendees along with the, rather strange, mix of jurors:
Jurors for the 2010 World Narrative Competition: Hope Davis, Aaron Eckhart, John Hamburg, Cheryl Hines, John Ridley, Gary Ross, Gary Winick.
Jurors for the 2010 World Documentary Competition: Jessica Alba, Margaret Brown, Marshall Curry, Whoopi Goldberg, Aidan Quinn, Eric Steel.
2010 Best New York Narrative jurors: Selma Blair, Zach Braff, Zoe Cassavetes, Darko Lungulov, Andrew McCarthy.
2010 New York Loves Film Documentary Competition jurors: America Ferrera, Dave Karger, Dan Klores, Scott Neustadter, Kate Snow.
2010 Narrative Short Film jurors: Justin Bartha, Katherine Dieckmann, Jack Dorsey, Peter Facinelli, Brooke Shields.
2010 Documentary and Student Short Film jurors: Perry Miller Adato, Tim Armstrong, Jared Cohen, Scandar Copti, Larry Gagosian, Alicia Keys, Shirin Neshat.