Exploring New England’s Historic Capital
By Charles Bahne
Discover one of America’s most historic cities through 29 dramatic true stories spanning Boston’s 400-year history.Boston expert Charles Bahne reveals some of the city’s most shocking moments including a murder mystery on the Harvard campus to the mistake that sent 2 million gallons of molasses pouring down Commercial Street. Other essays explore the major historic events from the founding of “the city on the hill” to the Boston Tea Party and the ride of Paul Revere to the establishment of the Red Sox and Fenway Park.
Then see it all for yourself with guided walking tours of each of Boston’s historic neighborhoods, illustrated with color photographs and period maps.
- Sidebars ranging from M.I.T. greatest pranks to the forgotten hero of Paul Revere’s famous ride
- Included: John Hancock, Paul Revere, Charles Bulfinch, Babe Ruth, Alexander Graham Bell, Isabella Stewart Gardner, Martin Luther King, Jr., the Kennedys and many more…
- Detailed timeline of historical events
- Includes 8 neighborhood walking tours of historic sites
- Appeals to history buffs, Boston residents and Boston tourists alike
- Complete Index
- Cover design by Jose Antonio Contreras
About the Author:
As a college student, Charles Bahne was captivated by Boston and its history. For three decades since then, he’s shared his enthusiasm about the city he loves, working as a tour guide, lecturer and even a park ranger. A graduate of MIT’s Urban Studies program, Charlie is also the author of The Complete Guide to Boston’s Freedom Trail.
5¼ x 8
300+ of Color Photos, Color Maps