A Guide to Tokyo, Kyoto, Tohoku and Japanese Culture Past and Present
By Sumiko Kajiyama
Explore the heart of Japanese culture with Cool Japan, a new three-part travel guide from Museyon Guides. First, visit Kyoto, where you will discover 1,000 years of history from the ancient love story the Tale of Genji to the traditional tea ceremony. Then head to Tokyo to experience Japan’s cutting-edge capital, where the 21st-century kawaii culture collides with landmarks like the Kabuki-za Theater and the Imperial Palace. For a different perspective, venture outside the city to the seaside towns of Tohoku, the region largely affected by the 2011 tsunami disaster.
Written by local expert Sumiko Kajiyama filled with photos, this book introduces readers to Japan’s national heroes and must-see places from a uniquely Japanese perspective. Informative, entertaining, and useful, Cool Japan is an ideal introduction for any traveler looking for a deeper understanding of Japanese culture, past and present.
Cool Japan: A Guide to Tokyo, Kyoto, Tohoku and Japanese Culture Past and Present by Sumiko Kajiyama takes you deep into the culture of Japan with:
- In-depth biographies of major Japanese heroes: Sakamoto Ryoma, Oda Nobunaga, Murasaki Shikibu, Basho, and more
- More than 170 listings for tourist attractions in Kyoto, Tokyo, and Tohoku
- Essential information for first-time visitors to Japan, plus hidden sites and tips that will surprise even experienced travelers
- 35 Japanese art images including national treasures
- 17 color maps and 470 beautiful color photos including Japan’s national treasures throughout
About the Author:
Sumiko Kajiyama is a journalist and scriptwriter residing in Japan. After working as a TV show director at KTV in Osaka, she lived in the U.S. for more than eight years while getting her Master of Media Communication from New York University and working at The Yomiuri America newspaper. Her books include GHIBLI Magic, The Man Who Changed Animation Business, The Creative Work Style by Top Producers, and New Rules to Be Happy with Your Work.
288 pages, 5 ¼ x 8
470 Color Photos, Color Maps
Travel / History / Art