Splendour in the Grass is Australia’s largest, Winter festival, taking place from July 30th to August 1st, and is so popular that in past years, tickets have sold out in a matter of hours with scalped tickets going for over $3,000 on Ebay. This year, the line-up is once again worthy of desperate measures as the festival welcomes a gambit of bands from around the world but particularly, must see acts from the U.S.: The Strokes, Pixies, LCD Soundsystem, Grizzly Bear, Broken Social Scene, Band of Horses, Hot Chip, Passion Pit, Jonsi, Goldfrapp, Florence and the Machine, Surfer Blood, School of Seven Bells, the Drums, Scissor Sisters, Tame Impala, Yeasayer, Foals.
To accommodate the masses of fans who have pledged their allegiance to Splendour, the festival has moved to larger grounds in Woodfordia, Queensland, away from the Byron Bay locale they have occupied since 2001. The facilities has room for 20,000 campers and since outside accommodation is scarce in Woodfordia, most festival goers will be staying onsite. The difference this year is that Splendour has erected a Tent City that those without a tent can hire.
- Since it is Winter in Australia, expect temperatures to be cold at night with warmer conditions during the day. Bring layers that can be slung around your waist when it is hot and a coat and hat for the evening.
- What seems to plague most outdoor festivals are wet conditions so rain boots and a pair of sneakers are recommended, no flip-flops here.
- The showers usually have a long wait but since the festival is only three days and not in the dead of Summer, many festival goers sponge off in their tents or use baby wipes. Bring a plenty of water that you can use for teeth brushing and face washing so that you don’t have to slog our way to the showers at night.
- Food is essential for those looking to save cash and time waiting in lines and is allowed in the tent areas.
- A torch or flashlight is mandatory item at Splendour and some people even suggest a miners’ helmet with a flashlight a fixed to help with late night toilet runs.
- If camping, make sure and get there early. The campsite opens Wed, July 28th and the best spots are taken quickly. If you want to bunk next to your friends, arrive at the same time so you are placed next to each other.
- Above all, Splendour is a very hippy, laid back festival that probably has as much to do with the season it takes place as the clientele is attracts. Take it easy and have fun.