The corner of Pearl and Broad streets has seen more history than most in New York City. There stands a stately mansion built in 1719, once home to one of the most prominent and controversial of early families, The Delanceys. The Delancey’s were real estate moguls in the early days of New York but when the Revolution came, pled allegiance to the King. When the Revolution ended not so well in the favor of The Delancey’s, they were forced to give-up their properties as Loyalists.
The Delancey’s estate at the corner of Pearl and Broad was sold and in 1762, opened as the Queen’s Head Tavern but later renamed the Fraunces Tavern for its proprietor Samuel Fraunces. The tavern was one of the most popular of the day but for history’s sake, it is best known as the site where General George Washington gave his farewell address to the officers of the Continental Army in 1783. Early in America’s history, the tavern also played a significant role as the location of the Department of War, Treasury and Foreign Affairs.
Restored by the Sons of the Revolution in 1904, the Fraunces Tavern serves both as a museum and restaurant.