We are pleased to announce the release of our new title, On Location NYC, by Alex Child next month.
Following Chronicles of Old New York and Art+NYC, On Location NYC is our third New York title and identifies more than 100 film and TV locations through iconic moments in cinema and TV history with beautiful color photos and maps.
With On Location NYC, you can see a slice of Taxi Driver-era Times Square and “have what she had” at Katz’s Delicatessen just like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. From Marilyn Monroe’s famous subway grate scene to Carrie’s apartment in Sex and the City, discover the real-life locations from some of New York’s most famous films and TV shows.
Stay tuned. We will let you know when it arrives at bookstores and online in June. Meanwhile check out some of the film locations mentioned in the book on our Facebook page!
“I am exhausted, I can’t bear it any more and I had nightmares last night: the cathedral was falling down on me, it seemed to be blue, or pink or yellow.”
From 1892 to 1893, Monet painted the 31 works that comprise his Rouen Cathedral series. He was solitary and oblivious to the other artists working around him. “I am a prisoner here and must go until the end,” he wrote in 1893, describing the subject as his “cliff.” All in all, Monet’s study took four years, during which he intermittently lived and worked in Rouen. In 1892, Monet took a room across from the cathedral at 25, place de la Cathédrale and then, in 1893, lived in a second-story room at 18, rue Grand-Pont, again within sight of the cathedral. Once the preliminary paintings were created, he then finished the work in his studio in Giverny in 1894.
Other artists like Corot, Pissarro, and Gauguin were also attracted by the beauty of this medieval city and painted here. You can still see some of the scenes that the artists loved.
Rouen is home to the Museé des Beaux-Arts, which holds the largest collection of Impressionist art outside of Paris. This year, as the one of main events of the Normandy Impressionist Festival, the museum will host the exhibition “Dazzling Reflections” featuring 100 Impressionist masterpieces. The exhibition runs from April 29 to September 30.
Don’t miss Rouen – it should be on your wish list of travel destinations this year.
To learn more about Rouen and the Impressionists, pick up a copy of Art+Paris Impressionists from Museyon Guides.
View Larger Map
On March 15, 44 B.C., Julius Caesar—the most famous Roman at home and abroad—was assassinated by a group of mutineer consuls in the Senate house, the Curia Pompeii. In a startling quirk of fate, his body slumped against a statue of Pompey the Great, his former political ally turned archrival, who fought the failed bid to stop Caesar from becoming a dictator.
The Curia, where the murder took place, was part of Pompey’s Theatre, built by the retired general in 55 B.C., as a lasting and spectacular reminder of his military achievements. Off its large colonnaded portico were several semi-circular halls, or exedrae, including the Curia Pompeii, which served as temporary meeting places for the Senate.
In 1926, while preparing for a luxury real estate development, several columns of four Republican-era temples, dating as far back as the 4th century B.C., first appeared. It is now called the Area Sacra di Largo Argentina. Although mostly covered by Via di Torre Argentina and current buildings, the Curia Pompeii was once located behind the circular temple devoted to Aedes Fortunae Huiusce Diei (the “Luck of the Current Day”). The exact place Caesar fell down may be under Via di Torre Argentina now. But do not forget to visit there on your next trip to Rome and feel the historical event.
When the Senate elected Octavian as the first emperor, Augustus, he began his reign by removing the statue of Pompey in the Curia and destroying all busts and images of him and of Caesar’s assassins.
To learn more about The Ides of March, do not forget to pick up Museyon Guide: Chronicles of Old Rome.
View Larger Map
You may enjoy one of Renoir’s most famous paintings, “La Loge”, at the current show, “Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity” at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
The fashionable woman in “La Loge” is Nini Lopez, who was an actress from Montmartre and known as “fish face.” Renoir met her when he moved to Montmartre for the summer to paint “Bal du moulin de la Galette” and painted her frequently between 1876 and 1879.
Renoir, who is perhaps the most beloved of the Impressionists, was a figure painter, not a landscapist, at heart; most of his most important paintings feature women. While Monet was painting the interplay of light on haystacks, poplars and cathedrals, and Alfred Sisley and Camille Pissarro were dappling color on Norman landscapes and Parisian vistas, Renoir was painting the beautiful women he loved, both as models and in real life as well.
Renoir’s first important model, muse, and lover was Lise Trehot, who met Renoir when she was 16 and he was 24. With her large dark eyes and thick, cascading dark hair, she modeled for him from 1865 until 1872 and he painted her nearly two dozen times.
The enchanting girl dancing in “Bal du moulin de la Galette “(1876) is Marguerite Legrand. Marguerite, who was known as Margot, was one of Renoir’s favorite models from 1875 until 1879, when she died tragically of typhoid fever, leaving him distraught and temporarily unable to paint.
Jeanne Samary, a prominent actress from a theatrical family, met Renoir in 1877 and for several years she was both his model and his lover. Jeanne eventually married and had children but she too died of typhoid when she was only 33.
Jeanne Samary once said “Renoir … marries all the women he paints … but with his brush.”
To learn more about Renoir and his beloved models, do not forget to pick up Museyon Guide: Art+Paris Impressionists & Post Impressionists.
The latest fashion . . . is absolutely necessary for a painting. It’s what matters most.
—Édouard Manet, 1881
Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity at The Metropolitan Museum of Art presents a revealing look at the role of fashion in the works of the Impressionists and their contemporaries.
Nearly 80 paintings by Impressionist masters such as Manet, Monet, Renoir, Degas, Caillebotte, Seurat, and others are on loan from museums all over the world for the exhibition.
Highlights of the exhibition include Monet’s Luncheon on the Grass (1865-66) and Women in the Garden (1866), Bazille’s Family Reunion (1867), Bartholomé’s In the Conservatory (Madame Bartholomé) (ca.1881, paired with the sitter’s dress), and 16 other key loans from the Musée d’Orsay; Monet’s Camille (1866) from the Kunsthalle Bremen, Renoir’s Lise (Woman with Umbrella) (1867) from the Museum Folkwang, Essen, and Manet’s The Parisienne (ca. 1875) from the Nationalmuseum, Stockholm, which have never before traveled to the U.S.; Caillebotte’s Paris Street; Rainy Day (1877) and Degas’s The Millinery Shop (ca.1882-86) from the Art Institute of Chicago; Renoir’s The Loge (1874) from The Courtauld Gallery, London; and Cassatt’s In the Loge (1878) from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
The exhibition was organized by The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, the Art Institute of Chicago and the Musée d’Orsay, Paris. After its display in New York (February 26 – May 27, 2013), the exhibition will travel to the Art Institute of Chicago (June 26–September 22, 2013).
To learn more about the French Impressionists, do not forget to pick up Museyon Guide: Art+Paris Impressionists & Post Impressionists at the Metropolitan Museum store.
On St. Valentine’s Day jewelry, flowers and gifts are exchanged between loved ones. But who can do more than Shah Jahan who built the Taj Mahal as a memorial to his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal, who died giving birth to their 14th child?
Born as Prince Khurram in 1592, Shah Jahan was the fifth son of Mughal Emperor Jahangir and grandson of Akbar the Great. In 1607, while strolling down the Meena Bazaar, 15-year-old Prince Khurram caught a glimpse of a girl hawking silk and glass beads. It was love at first sight and the girl was Arjumand Banu Begum, the granddaughter of a Persian noble and was just 14 at that time. After they got married in 1612, Arjumand became the unquestioned love of his life.
After his father’s death in 1627, Shah Jahan won power after a struggle with his brothers, crowning himself emperor at Agra in 1628, and entrusted Arjumand Banu with the royal seal. He also bestowed her with the title of Mumtaz Mahal, meaning the “Jewel of the Palace.”
In 1631 Mumtaz Mahal died at age 40 while giving birth to their 14th child. The cause of death was post-partum hemorrhaging, which caused considerable blood-loss after a painful labor of 30 hours. The deeply-grieving emperor ordered the construction of a fitting monument six months later. It took 22,000 workers and 1,000 elephants nearly 22 years to complete this white marble monument — the Taj Mahal.
In 1657 Shah Jahan fell ill, and one of his sons, Aurangzeb, declared their father Shah Jahan incompetent to rule and put him under house arrest in Agra Fort till his death in 1666. It is said that with tears in his eyes, Shah Jahan viewed the Taj Mahal from the Agra fort during the last years of his life.
Shah Jahan sleeps next to his beloved wife, Mumtaz in the Taj Mahal.
Check out Museyon’s photographic tour of the Taj Mahal.
View Larger Map
New York City’s Grand Central celebrates centennial: Grand Central, Park Avenue and Cornelius VanderbiltFebruary 1st, 2013
Grand Central Terminal opened its doors to the public at midnight on February 1, 1913. The first train left at 12:20 AM. What began as the new terminal for electric trains transformed the area into prime real estate in Manhattan, called Park Avenue.
There was a time when Park Avenue was known as Fourth Avenue, and it was populated mainly by breweries, factories, and small farms. Its most notable features were the noisy, filthy trains that ran down two tracks at its center, all the way to Prince Street.
The shipping magnate “Commodore” Cornelius Vanderbilt acquired the Hudson River Railroad in 1864. In 1869, he directed the beginning of construction of Grand Central Depot on 42nd Street in Manhattan. Grand Central Depot, the predecessor to today’s structure, opened in 1871 after Vanderbilt purchased the land between 42nd and 48th streets and Lexington and Madison avenues to make way for his new venture in railroads.
In 1872, Vanderbilt purchased the craggy promontory along Fourth Avenue for an astonishingly low price, in exchange agreeing to blast the stone, level the grade of the avenue in the process, and bury his four tracks, which would emerge above ground at 97th Street.
By 1875, the project was complete. The Avenue was now one hundred and forty feet wide, the grandest boulevard in New York, with fifteen-foot sidewalks, and a fifty-six-foot wide center mall providing relief and ventilation from the not-so-grand fumes, filth, and deafening noise from the tunnel below.
In March 1888, the City Aldermen agreed to rename the boulevard Park Avenue. It took a while for society’s royalty to accept Park Avenue; its development is solely a twentieth-century phenomenon. It wasn’t until September 1906, when the trains were electrified—minimizing the noise and reducing the need for ventilation—that the malls of Park Avenue could be landscaped.
To learn more about Park Avenue, pick up a copy of Chronicles of Old New York from Museyon Guides.
Also discover Grand Central Terminal as a filming location at facebook.com/museyon.
View Larger Map